- Consult a local Canadian Certified Pedorthist at Fit Right Orthotics for a biomechanical exam. Your Pedorthist will ensure you are wearing the right type of footwear for your sport, it fits properly, and it provides the correct support for your foot type.
- If your Pedorthist finds biomechanical faults, custom-made foot orthotics may help prevent an injury.
- Over-the-counter devices often help prevent simple cases of over pronation and can assist with healing following an injury.
- Slowly and carefully increase your activity level to allow the tissues of your lower limbs time to properly adapt.
- If a foot injury occurs, rest, use ice and consult your physician.
- If a condition persists it can help to visit complementary health professionals who specialize in sports medicine, such as a physiotherapist or massage therapist.
- Physiotherapists can also provide detailed information on pre-event warm-up and stretching to reduce the risk of injuries.
Each year more than 1.2 million Canadians are sidelined from their favourite sport due to a sports-related injury that may have been prevented through proper fitting footwear and shoe selection. To reduce the risk of a sports-related injury and alleviate pain if one occurs: